Skip to main content

A CONTINUATION OF WHAT CHALLENGES EDUCATION IN OUR SOCIETY

Like I pointed out in my last post, there is a lot more that I would want to share on what challenges education in the Kilifi society.

POVERTY
Poverty is one of the biggest challenges that hinder education in our great County of Kilifi. After the free primary education was announced, almost every young man or woman who had dropped out of school rushed to join school again. Schooling had been made easy. No fee was required, no significant money to pay for anything. Primary education was truly free then.
Several years down the line, primary education is no longer as free as it was even after being made a law that it would continue to be free almost forever. Today there are many expenses that pupils have to pay for if they are to remain in school. That's the primary education not even secondary. Poverty has therefore denied children access to education. These children come from extremely poor families(and that's the situation of very many families in Kilifi) which can with difficulties only afford to take care of their stomachs. It's from these families that teachers demand KES 200 for games from each pupil( imagine a family with more than three pupils in the same school), exam fees of more than KES 100 for each pupil, and many other monies that at the end the parents can not afford and so the pupils are sent home every day and at last they drop out of school. Thereafter, God knows the kind of life they live. POVERTY is what has denied these children their right to education. It has denied them the very basic education.This menace is what denies them a bright and colorful future. It's not their wish. Not their fault. It's the fault of poverty, the denier of education to many brilliant children in Kilifi County.
That is just for the primary education where the amount of money required to be paid may even be less than KES 3000 per year. What about the secondary education where the fees will never be less than KES 15000 even in the cheapest day schools? So, before even one thinks of joining high school, they first think of its possibility. If it was difficult in primary, how about secondary? At this point, many get discouraged and give up. They stop working hard. With one reason in mind; POVERTY. They say, "if it's hard in primary, what will make it easy in high school?" They end their education with failing in primary education. They can't progress. POVERTY has stopped them.
For the few that make it to high school, the challenge continues. Being sent home almost every other week and when they get home, their is no money to take them back to school. They stay home for two weeks. Them and their parents struggle and they get very little money. They go to school with that. In school, they are kept for one week and the next week they are sent home again. Good Lord!!! How will such students excel? What time do they have to read? Do they even have time to see a teacher teach? Definitely, they end up failing in their final examinations. That's better. Others don't even get the opportunity to finish and do the examinations.
That is what POVERTY does to education in KILIFI COUNTY.


POOR MANAGEMENT OF SCHOOLS.
This is another problem facing education in Kilifi. The management of schools is so poor. It does not have the students interest at heart, instead, it's selfishness that runs the day. The management want to always benefit at the expense of the student. Resources that would be used to harness academic excellence are otherwise used for very different purposes. Some of the school administrators do not even know how to handle students in a way that would motivate the students to work harder. In as much as success depends by a big percentage on the student, the management has got a big role to play in ensuring the student succeeds.
Many a times,  the community complains that schools in Kilifi are fond of going for strikes but less times do they look into what exactly the problem is. If you look into it keenly, you will realize that the problem is the school management. Instead of blaming the students on indiscipline and whatever reasons people give, why don't people scrutinize the managements?
I don't have much on this management thing but something needs to be done in our schools.

INDISCIPLINE
In as much as there are so many challenges facing education in Kilifi, we can not exhaust them if we don't touch on indiscipline. This is one of the big challenges. I have no idea where it emanates from but it's really a big problem. I may call it a song because it has for ages been said that discipline is the key to success. It will always remain to be. Unfortunately, discipline is what matters less to many students in Kilifi. To them it's a big thing to be undisciplined, it's a thing to be proud about. What they forget and only remember after school is that excellence and discipline are inseparable.
I have taught in a few schools in Kilifi and also interacted with very may students during my talks in the schools. Many times do I pity many of them because of how they behave. It's like they are not in school or do not know why they are in school to be precise.
From what I know, discipline is wholesome, it's in everything, from the way you appear, to the way you respond to issues. Discipline is very key. If you saw how some of these students dress, talk, respond to issues, do their things, you would think they are not in school. This translates to their academics too, they are indiscipline in following the school programme and even their own time tables. and that's where they fail most. The end result is failing in their internal to the external exam. Discipline is very key in education. I rest my case.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tells of the best of Women

  Our very first Date I have known this woman for the past 7 years, I have dated her for the past two years and I have been married to her for the past one year, four months and thirteen day, ( don't be fooled, I sort the help of a calculator and minutes of thinking) If you would like to meet an incredible woman, you should absolutely meet her. If you want to meet a smart and beautiful woman, you need to meet my wife. If you want to meet a flawed woman, damn right, you should look for her. If you want to meet a loyal and loving woman, my Eve should be your next meet. Every additional year she gets becomes first a gracious gift to me then to her. Don't get me wrong, it's just that she takes care of me more than she takes care of herself. This is her second birthday we are celebrating in Kilifi. The first was just a week after we had moved here from Nairobi. We just had a small "Fayaz" cake (I didn't even put a sad face, it was a terrible cake) with our very

The Rogue man!

  Rogue is definitely the right word to use here. First, because this story should have been written six months ago. Today is right to write¹ nevertheless, the "rogueness'"  (You know what? I can be sorry to English later) continued. I think I am just rogue. Absolutely abnormal in my own terms. Today, we got back from the church as usual. My man started the disturbance spree right from church. He didn't wanna sleep, murmurs, screams, squishes, joyful and sad sounds. That's B for you when he wants. He slept for a bit but woke up once we got to the house. My week was long. I traveled to Nairobi on Wednesday and didn't sleep or rest. Went for an event on Thursday and traveled back that same evening. I got to Mtwapa on Friday, rested for a few hours, and went to Kilifi. Merime ( www.merimespace.co.ke ) needed me. It's been a week! I am still tired by the way and all I wanted after church was to sleep. It's not that obvious or easy these days. The Man B is

Story za Ulezi

  I honestly struggled to get here and start typing. What is this dopamine that comes with scrolling? Is it the right or left brain whatever that produces it? I need to meet it and rebuke it in the name of Jesus! Weuh! Stealer of time! Crusher of writing dreams! Postponer of sleep. Shindwe kabisa (should be defeated completely)... Well, you know I had to mention why I got late to write. Scrolling! Puh!  Today was pretty interesting. I was reminded of a few years back when I was angry at an absent and passive father. Contexts can be long so I won't give it. My colleagues and I discussed something very interesting over lunch. It started with my colleague revealing that she was writing a paper on the effects of parenting styles on teens. I jumped to ask her to include youth and adults. Well, we all know how the parenting we received messed some of us up - big time.  I thought I had gone through hell. I think hers was a hell of 7 times more than the fire Shadrack, Meshack, and Abednego