Skip to main content

All the way to Twenty Seven


 I know there are  so many stories out there, stories about success, about love, about escape, about everything you can imagine. But this is my story. The story of village boy who became so much and is still becoming. I am turning 27 today and I can't even understand how fast I got here. Then I looked at my graduation photo hanged in our house and it all came rushing and I couldn't hold the tears. If it were not for God, let Andrew say. If it were not for God!

I was born in a small village called Kizingo in Dida, Ganze sub-county. Being born fourth but the first son is great but not so great! I grew up mostly with my three sisters and mum - you know this story already if you read my blog. I don't wanna talk about that today. Growing up, there was no exposure whatsoever. The furthest I went was my father's place in Bombolulu - Mombasa. Nothing much there apart from playing in that house with kina Tatu and Mariam and sometimes go to the highway to watch vehicles pass and especially those busses that carried white people. Vehicles fascinated me somehow and white people too. Who knew I would have them as friends and business partners now. God! Those days I would borrow sweets from them as they passed in those busses. As if they heard me - or maybe they did hear me. What! Sorry, I just got shocked that it was me doing that!  Don't ask me a thing. 😅

Well, it wasn't just that there was no exposure. There were no examples too. There was no one around me who had gone to school beyond high school. And you know even in my dreaming I was so confused. I wanted to be a doctor and then a teacher, then a pilot, then so much else. Don't ask how I ended up where I am. You have heard of the grander plan story and divine plan? That is your answer. Oh and I even haven't mentioned the mysterious things like witchcraft and all that...I know you don't believe in these things. You should live in my village for some time. And for real growing up and excelling in my studies was a literal risk. The times they had set up a death trap somewhere and a trap to make sure I get mad or something, are countless. Oh, modern man! You wanna ask how I knew that? Get me on call or over some green tea ( I don't like coffee) or buy me some chicken choma for lunch and I will tell you all about it.😏

In 2016, we had a mission in Bamba with my campus Christian Union (I miss LKCCU), we did some great damage with a few friends. Some damage to the ungodly kingdom. Adelaide and Reuben will tell you all about this story. Jeez, it was crazy. It was some God experience we had never had before and some incredible deliverance of my family. My dad got born again on this day by the way. A story for another day. What I needed to point out in all this 2016 thing is, the damage was so great that some people called on my head. Most unfortunately, close relatives. Imagine that! This story is too sensitive, we will tell it some other day. My point is, God still kept me, He still protected me. 

And even most interestingly, this son of a peasant farmer ( remember your HELB application?😀) still made it here. Poor as my family was (people in the neighbourhood believed we were rich by the way...our house had iron sheets), having had to be sponsored through high school and struggle through campus, here I am. This isn't a story of "nothing to something" yet, God's still doing some work in me but I am grateful.

So, twenty-seven years on this earth, it's not been easy. And you know I only touched on the outside threats. How about those from within? The many times I wanted to give up. The times I wanted to stop and do nothing. The times I wanted to die or kill myself (Yes, I have had such times and so many times). And yet, here I am today. I have learnt that it doesn't get any easier. No. It gets harder and harder but I get better and better every day. I get tougher and braver. I get more resilient and more courageous. Bolder. 

In all of this, God has been faithful. I turn twenty-seven today and more is coming and I have no idea what it is. But as much as it will come, I have confidence in this one Man that holds my tomorrow and He knows it too. 




Comments

  1. Happy Birthday Buddy. Wishing you a long healthy life. May 27 be a year of transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have come so far Andrew, and you have so much distance to cover as well. So proud of you keep breaking barriers, keep shining against all odds.

    God is doing a beautiful thing. Happy birthday 🥳

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happiest of birthdays to you Andrew. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated birthday Andrew
    May God continue blessing you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tells of the best of Women

  Our very first Date I have known this woman for the past 7 years, I have dated her for the past two years and I have been married to her for the past one year, four months and thirteen day, ( don't be fooled, I sort the help of a calculator and minutes of thinking) If you would like to meet an incredible woman, you should absolutely meet her. If you want to meet a smart and beautiful woman, you need to meet my wife. If you want to meet a flawed woman, damn right, you should look for her. If you want to meet a loyal and loving woman, my Eve should be your next meet. Every additional year she gets becomes first a gracious gift to me then to her. Don't get me wrong, it's just that she takes care of me more than she takes care of herself. This is her second birthday we are celebrating in Kilifi. The first was just a week after we had moved here from Nairobi. We just had a small "Fayaz" cake (I didn't even put a sad face, it was a terrible cake) with our very

The Rogue man!

  Rogue is definitely the right word to use here. First, because this story should have been written six months ago. Today is right to write¹ nevertheless, the "rogueness'"  (You know what? I can be sorry to English later) continued. I think I am just rogue. Absolutely abnormal in my own terms. Today, we got back from the church as usual. My man started the disturbance spree right from church. He didn't wanna sleep, murmurs, screams, squishes, joyful and sad sounds. That's B for you when he wants. He slept for a bit but woke up once we got to the house. My week was long. I traveled to Nairobi on Wednesday and didn't sleep or rest. Went for an event on Thursday and traveled back that same evening. I got to Mtwapa on Friday, rested for a few hours, and went to Kilifi. Merime ( www.merimespace.co.ke ) needed me. It's been a week! I am still tired by the way and all I wanted after church was to sleep. It's not that obvious or easy these days. The Man B is

Story za Ulezi

  I honestly struggled to get here and start typing. What is this dopamine that comes with scrolling? Is it the right or left brain whatever that produces it? I need to meet it and rebuke it in the name of Jesus! Weuh! Stealer of time! Crusher of writing dreams! Postponer of sleep. Shindwe kabisa (should be defeated completely)... Well, you know I had to mention why I got late to write. Scrolling! Puh!  Today was pretty interesting. I was reminded of a few years back when I was angry at an absent and passive father. Contexts can be long so I won't give it. My colleagues and I discussed something very interesting over lunch. It started with my colleague revealing that she was writing a paper on the effects of parenting styles on teens. I jumped to ask her to include youth and adults. Well, we all know how the parenting we received messed some of us up - big time.  I thought I had gone through hell. I think hers was a hell of 7 times more than the fire Shadrack, Meshack, and Abednego