Skip to main content

A Father's Day story.


Father’s Day is a great day to celebrate fatherhood. Unfortunately, for me, it’s not a day I have been celebrating for the longest time, maybe I will start soon. Today, I needed to share the story of why I do not celebrate it.  Buckle up because it’s gonna be a long read it might get a bit teary in here and I hope you learn and enjoy reading this – even if with tears.

Today I woke up to lots of celebrations – lots of people posting their fathers on social media, paying tribute and honouring their fathers for how great they are or were and the great role they played in shaping them to the people they are today. It’s an incredible thing I have to say. I hope the fathers can see that and I cannot imagine how they feel. Now, because of peer pressure, I will also post two especially important men in my life; my father and brother but I will write more about the former. After all, this is Father’s Day.

Now, I was born in a family of seven (a little background about myself for especially readers that do not know me and for context); my four siblings, and my parents. I am a fourth born and preceded by three sisters. That’s why my parents called me Sikudhani – because they did not expect to get a boy. Now away from that, growing up, it was mostly my sisters, mum and I before my brother came around. I grew up in a small village called Dida in Ganze Sub County – Kilifi County and my father used to work in Mombasa. Being the only boy in the family ( before my brother came later), I literally had no man to learn from; men were working in towns and those around, relatives and neighbours were not men I thought I could learn from. Some I did, I have to admit.

My father would only come home on weekends and sometimes skip one weekend. I know he would arrive really early but only his luggage would proceed him. He would remain in “Mangwes” (clubs where people drink palm wine or as we call it, mnazi) and come home late in the night very drunk. So, he would make a lot of noise asking for food and that would wake us all up. Thank God he was never violent, I respect him for that. Mum would serve him food; he would eat and drop himself to bed. He would sleep all night and wake up the next day (Sunday) either just before or just after noon. It would already be too late because he needs to get back to Mombasa and that takes at least 3 hours. So, he would get ready really fast and travel back. This was the trend that I can remember. There are a few weekends when he would get home early but we never got to talk even in such rare weekends. I think he was more concerned with making sure there is food on the table than know that he has a son that needed to learn from him what manhood is.

Basically, growing up, my father was never around. He had more important things to take care of than having time for me or any of my siblings ( I know how harsh and unfair that sounds but what do you expect?) My mum kept her cool but of course she was suffering – she had to work hard to make sure that when my father wouldn’t provide, there was food on the table. They had issues with him, infidelity especially and my father did not see my mum as a woman enough especially for the years before I was born because he needed a son. All that frustration, bitterness and anger, my mum poured it on us. She would rain pain on us. Ile kuchapwa tulichapwa๐Ÿ™†๐Ÿ™†๐Ÿ™†. But she was there. She was to leave my father but did not because of us – I respect this woman for this because I don’t imagine how our lives would have turned out if she left.

I have to admit, my dad loved me in his own way. I still do not understand up to now and I am not sure I would call it love. But it was his way. I got gifts of clothes every once in a while. Kaundas to be specific. I felt good and trust me at the time I didn’t see his absence as something. It felt normal. Fast forward to when I was in, I guess class four or class six, I cannot remember well. My father was laid off from work. He worked in a clearing and forwarding company but they were downsizing and it’s around the same time when computers were taking root and my father had no knowledge of computers – he only went up to primary school (the old system when it was CPE) Him being laid off changed a lot of things but I didn’t realize this soon enough until I finished class 8. I finished class eight with my elder sister in the same year and we both did well. It was time to go to high school and there was no money. All the years this man was working, he never thought of saving. I wonder whether he had it in mind that he had kids that will need to go to school and would have to pay fees for them. (My first two sisters did not proceed to high school – they did not do so well)

Well, I think his mind had some sort of jump and he remembered that he had some social security money, NSSF. So, he applied for it and got Kes.75,000 and that was to take me and my sister to high school. It took us through form one and I am so grateful for that. But getting to form two, there was no more money, so I was going to drop out of school. I had applied for a scholarship, but it had not come through. Fortunately, one of my aunts knew of another organization that offered scholarships. I quickly applied and was fortunate to be awarded the scholarship. And I could stay in school. So, my fees were covered for the whole period of four years. I still struggled with pocket money. My father would reluctantly hand me Kes.400 shillings and that would be money for shopping, fare, and pocket money. Thank God for my mum, I have no idea how but every time she topped that up with something small. It was almost like she was the father – do not get me wrong, I am expressing what it felt.

All this while I do not have a relationship with my father. We would only say hi, not because I was mad or anything, but I am not sure he wanted to have a relationship with me. Let’s fast forward to after I complete form four. Now, I have to mention, just before I finished form four, my dad sold a shamba – a portion of what he was given from land his father left behind. He has many brothers. I have no idea where that money went. I completed my KCSE on 20th November (I know you would really like that I mention the year so you calculate my age. Sorry ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚), stayed home a month then started looking for a job because I knew if I did not there was no going to University. I got a small job at the offices of one of the organizations that sponsored my high school (the same that did not come through earlier but did when I was in form three after I already had another scholarship). After some weeks, I thought I am not making enough from there, so I left to go teach. Started saving some very little money, because I was not earning much. I taught for 4 months then applied for an attachment program with KEMRI Kilifi – this is a program for top performers. Oh, did I mention that I was the best in Kilifi county in that year’s KCSE? I was.

Basically, I hustled to get money and help a little bit at home as well. The time came to join campus; I wasn’t so worried because I had promises of a scholarship from the principal. The MP and MCA promised to help as well. In January 2014 when I was to join campus, some good shock hit me that I was on my own. There was no scholarship and the MP and MCA weren’t so ready to help – you know politicians, right?๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜  So, my mother took a loan to offset my fees and I used the small savings I had to take care of my shopping and pocket money. By the way, I paid that loan back using my HELB money. I hope you realize that you are not seeing my father in all this. I am grateful for HELB, the MP and MCA helped a little bit (and I mean a little bit) mostly in my first year and partly the second year but even then it was pushing them until I got tired of begging. So, I had to really hustle. I sold eggs on campus, started a small shop at home that I let my father run using HELB money and bought a printer with my good friend. Towards the end of second year, I knew I cannot depend on anyone, so I had to work my back out to get money for my upkeep and add to HELB to pay for my fees. One man, the CEO of the organization I worked for shortly after high school chipped in – I am so grateful he did.

Long story short, I literally had to support myself probably 90% through University. Now, in 2017, I did a program called Man Enough by Transform nations. This program brought out all the wounds I had that my father inflicted on me and I wasn’t even aware. They were still so fresh but buried deep down. Oh, men!! I hated my father. I didn’t even want to see him. Let me take you back a little. I got born again in high school but my relationship with God really began in second year in University. By form three, my mum and sisters had already started heaping on me burdens of what my father did to them. By Giryama definition, I was a man already. And most times I had to confront my father when he hurt my mum or sisters. I was somehow, the person they ran to. Imagine that kind of burden for a sixteen, seventeen-year-old. Now, in 2016, I learned about love and I wanted to see if that would change my father. Look, I hated that man but pretended to love him. Don’t ask me how. It worked by the way and towards the end of the year (2016), he got born again. Now here, I realized I couldn’t fake it anymore, I had to love him truly because there was no other way, I could help him grow in salvation. I spent days crying because I did not know how I was going to love him or even disciple him. I tried and put up a brave face like the Giryama man I am.

But when I did Man Enough, everything crumbled and the hate and disrespect I had for him within me was too much. I didn't wanna see him or talk to him. We already did not have a good relationship, and this was making it even worse. Understanding that there are lots of things in my life that were so wrong and it’s all because he wasn’t there made me furious๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜ก. I had missed too many things in life. I had struggled too much. I had literally gone through fire and I was still in it and for most of it if not all of it, he was responsible.

Well, you cannot be angry all your life. It was getting worse and bitterness had crept in. My relationship with God was not in a very good place and I knew I had to do something. So, on the new year eve of 2018, I sat him down and released all the anger I had. That man has an ego, I got mine from him, but he had to keep quiet and listen. Good thing, he actually apologized – I am not sure he meant it but it was a start. I started trying to build a relationship with him.

I will tell you; every day gets better with time. Sometimes, it’s easy and we can have a good conversation and sometimes it’s not. He tries, but you know, it is almost too late already. I am a grown-up man now and I am not sure we can change anything. I forgave him but sometimes it feels like I haven’t. Maybe I have not. I sometimes hear about how people were parented or read about parenting and I just get angry. Today as I looked at those statuses on WhatsApp especially; somehow, I felt so angry because I don’t think I can say so much about my father and the impact he has had on me. That is why I am writing this because I know that there are lots of men especially and women out there who share my experience or even worse. You were abandoned at a small age and had to be raised by your mother or grandparents or your dad was too busy for you or too busy providing food and paying school fees and a relationship with you did not really matter or it did but he forgot – I don’t know.

I want you to know that you are not alone. There are a lot of us out here and we are scared to talk about it. I am too but I thought today, let me just put it out here. I am not sure how my father will think if he sees this or what my siblings or relatives will think if they see this. But I think it is important to talk about it. Most of you men who will read this are already fathers or you will be fathers in the near or later future. I really hope we can learn and do better. Know that it is not enough to put food on the table, clothe and pay fees for your kids. Build a relationship with them. Love them, tell them and show them.

That is it for today but I hope to create a platform where I will share my experiences in more details and how they affected me and maybe allow other men and women who like me had absent present fathers or absent fathers or passive fathers.

I think for a close, I have to mention that I don't think I would become the man that I am if I didn’t go through what I went through. I am not saying this to approve of it but to point out something positive of this whole terrible ordeal. And for that, I am grateful to God. Most importantly, and I remember this every time, is that I have a heavenly father that is perfect and cares about me deeply๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š. He is the picture of perfect fatherhood and even though a relationship with Him hasn’t been easy because of the idea of fatherhood I have had it gets better every day as I let go and surrender. My kids will have a better father because now I know what fatherhood really is. But I have to choose to be a better father, that I know.

 

 


Comments

  1. Wooow Touching .Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you wee touched Everlyn. Thank you for reading.๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚

      Delete
  2. I loved this piece Andrew! Thanks for being open and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daa ii ilikua kali kijana msamehe tu na life iendelee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nilishamsamehe lakini msamaha haumaanishi uchungu utatoweka gala. Uchungu huhitaji muda kupoa.

      Delete
  4. Whooooaaaaah, Andy, I just noticed of all the time, I knew literally nothing about your family. This is a huge thing to talk about, forgive that man, oh, wait, I noticed it while reading this piece that you have forgiven him already, and am very glad you did. I know how much harm harbouring bitterness can cause, let goof it, let it goooo.
    And this a good piece, it's good to share life experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I let you in just a bit about my family. Yes, I did forgive him. Forgiveness doesn't take a way the pain though, the pain takes it's time. But I am waaay better. And slowly letting go.

      Thank you. I believe our lives are the biggest ministries that minister more than sermons do. I am glad this could reach you.

      Delete
  5. What I know is, Forgiveness does not mean that you suppress anger; forgiveness means that you have asked for a miracle: the ability to see through mistakes that someone has made to the truth that lies in all of our hearts. Forgiveness is not always easy. At times, it feels more painful than the wound we suffered, to forgive the one that inflicted it. And yet, there is no peace without forgiveness. Attack thoughts towards others are attack thoughts towards ourselves. Glad you forgave him Jomba.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't put it any better Jomba. Thank you. You're extremely wise.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for opening up honey, and you will be a great daddy.❤❤❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿค—๐Ÿค— thank you sweetheart. We are in this together, really grateful that I get to do this journey with you.๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿฅฐ

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing baba.
    Good thing is that I know this story very well.
    I think you have come a long way to strongly facing the wounds inflicted on you since you were small boy. Tremendous strides made in mending the relationship and making it better for the greater good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man. I recognize the signature of your writing..haha. We have come a long way, thank you for being part of the journey.

      Delete
  8. Eish such an amazing and raw story. Yes it is good to heal those wounds, they affect people in so many ways and am glad that you are sharing your story with us. Thank you for the amazing piece Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claire Angoye, it's definitely necessary to recognize the wounds and start the process of healing. And yes, they affect people in more ways than they can understand if not dealt with. Thank you so much.

      Delete
  9. Wow...so encouraging post Andrew, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Andrew for sharing. This is deep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading through. Glad it could reach you.

      Delete
  11. Woaw woaw this story is soo touching Andrew. my question is where there not good neighbouring guys who you could hang around with.? Your father did wrong of coz but did you try approaching him and asked why he did so to you and the family at large?
    If yes any action you took to make things Better for the family..
    Another question..was your sisters treated the same way?
    Though the story is touching many families are going through this and I believe this can bring hope to someone suffering outside there.
    Thank you for this Andrew I have loved it.. it's fantastic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thank you very much. Well, you see at that point, you usually don't even realize that you are missing on your father - son or daughter relationship and that this affects you greatly. You are too young to know and are scared to ask anything because if there is never a conversation, how do you even start. So, mostly you realize it later and then it's already too late.
      And whether there were good neighbouring guys to hang out with; not many because at the time you hang out with your peers. If your father has not taught you that it's okay to be around him, how do you begin to hang out with other older men in the first place?

      Of course I mentioned that I confronted my father. At the beginning, as the family representative:) and then to let out my anger. My family was falling apart (story for another day) and God used me to bring everyone together. It's another long story.
      My sisters's experiences were definitely worse but better at the same time, because mum was around so they had a mother and woman to look up to.

      Precisely, please share it widely.
      Thank you very much.

      Delete
  12. This feels like my journey ..and still you got to where you are today ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really glad that you can relate. God mostly uses our journeys to make us and get us where we are. As terrible as they might be, His goodness is no respecter of anything! So, still I got here.
      I hope you can share the story with someone; because very many relate - this is their story.

      Delete
  13. I read this late but I am so glad I did. Thank you for sharing this and I am really looking forward for more platforms where you will share this.
    Thank you Andrew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you read it. It wasn't late I believe. I am looking forward to sharing journey as well. Thank you very much.

      Delete
  14. I'm reading the comments now but I'm still crying.

    This is so deep Andrew.

    please let go and let God, this is often easier said than done, but once you allow God to take full charge,He will guide you on how to go about it. You'll hear Him say clearly "This is the way, walk in it"

    Man enough is a great program. I did "Woman enough - Ezer"

    Vulnerability is indeed not a weakness. I've known you for less than two months and when asked to say something about you I'd say, you are a great person.

    God has given you a chance to start over . Be great, be present, let go and let God.

    Mad respect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Janet. I am sorry you cried.๐Ÿ˜”๐Ÿ˜” I warned though ๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™ˆ. Takes time to let go even after forgiving and yes, I have my chance now. I am trusting God to show His fatherhood through me, however flawed I am, I would make a great one if He is in charge.

      Good to know you did Ezer - it's an incredible program.

      Thank you so much once again.

      Delete
  15. I really hope we can learn and do better. Know that it is not enough to put food on the table, clothe and pay fees for your kids. Build a relationship with them. Love them, tell them and show them.

    That was the punch lines. Thanks for sharing. Great piece

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's an amazing read. I hope fathers of the this and next generation are changing. I am so worried

    ReplyDelete
  17. So much in one piece..... sijui ata niseme aje, thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tells of the best of Women

  Our very first Date I have known this woman for the past 7 years, I have dated her for the past two years and I have been married to her for the past one year, four months and thirteen day, ( don't be fooled, I sort the help of a calculator and minutes of thinking) If you would like to meet an incredible woman, you should absolutely meet her. If you want to meet a smart and beautiful woman, you need to meet my wife. If you want to meet a flawed woman, damn right, you should look for her. If you want to meet a loyal and loving woman, my Eve should be your next meet. Every additional year she gets becomes first a gracious gift to me then to her. Don't get me wrong, it's just that she takes care of me more than she takes care of herself. This is her second birthday we are celebrating in Kilifi. The first was just a week after we had moved here from Nairobi. We just had a small "Fayaz" cake (I didn't even put a sad face, it was a terrible cake) with our very

The Rogue man!

  Rogue is definitely the right word to use here. First, because this story should have been written six months ago. Today is right to write¹ nevertheless, the "rogueness'"  (You know what? I can be sorry to English later) continued. I think I am just rogue. Absolutely abnormal in my own terms. Today, we got back from the church as usual. My man started the disturbance spree right from church. He didn't wanna sleep, murmurs, screams, squishes, joyful and sad sounds. That's B for you when he wants. He slept for a bit but woke up once we got to the house. My week was long. I traveled to Nairobi on Wednesday and didn't sleep or rest. Went for an event on Thursday and traveled back that same evening. I got to Mtwapa on Friday, rested for a few hours, and went to Kilifi. Merime ( www.merimespace.co.ke ) needed me. It's been a week! I am still tired by the way and all I wanted after church was to sleep. It's not that obvious or easy these days. The Man B is

Story za Ulezi

  I honestly struggled to get here and start typing. What is this dopamine that comes with scrolling? Is it the right or left brain whatever that produces it? I need to meet it and rebuke it in the name of Jesus! Weuh! Stealer of time! Crusher of writing dreams! Postponer of sleep. Shindwe kabisa (should be defeated completely)... Well, you know I had to mention why I got late to write. Scrolling! Puh!  Today was pretty interesting. I was reminded of a few years back when I was angry at an absent and passive father. Contexts can be long so I won't give it. My colleagues and I discussed something very interesting over lunch. It started with my colleague revealing that she was writing a paper on the effects of parenting styles on teens. I jumped to ask her to include youth and adults. Well, we all know how the parenting we received messed some of us up - big time.  I thought I had gone through hell. I think hers was a hell of 7 times more than the fire Shadrack, Meshack, and Abednego